Applying to RUB

Applying to RUB as a Prospective Student Refugee

In order to attend Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) international applicants must fill two basic requirements: They need to have obtained a university entrance certificate (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung) and should be able to prove a sufficient level of German language proficiency.

Legal Status

It is not necessary to have a legal status to be accepted as a student at Ruhr-Universität Bochum. Regardless of whether or not applicants have been granted asylum, their asylum application is still being processed or they have been granted a temporary residence permit (Duldung), it is possible to get accepted to RUB.


Depending on the type of enrolment (degree seeking, language course, guest student), recognized refugees enrolled at any institution of higher education may lose previously received financial support from Jobcenter.

Regardless of how long you have been in Germany, recognized refugees (those granted refugee status or subsidiary protection) may apply for BAföG (state funding for students). With a temporary residence permit (Duldung) you may apply for BAföG after living in Germany for 15 months. If your asylum application is still being processed, you may not apply for BAföG.

Possible Financing for Students

Note for Applicants without Qualification Records

Ruhr-Universität Bochum is currently developing a system that processes degree seeking qualifications without documented records.

RUBiss Logo

Attending RUB

Questions regarding studying at RUB can be addressed to the RUBiss team or the Admissions Office. Both can also be contacted via email.

Application and Admissions

For further information regarding the application and admission procedures please contact the Admissions Office:

Ivana Lazic
Raum: SSC 0 / 137
Karsten Alt
Raum: SSC 0 / 228

  • Sprechzeiten: Mo-Do, 09:00-12:00 Uhr

  • Tel: +49 (0) 234 32-26644 (Hotline)

  • Email: