Entry Regulations

Before traveling to Germany, you should get more information regarding the entrance requirements applying to your individual case.

Depending on your citizenship, the following requirements are relevant for you (for more information please click on the respective tab):

Nationals of EU States, the European Economic Area and Switzerland ↓

You do not usually need a visa if you are an European Union national or from the countries Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. You may enter Germany using your national identity card.

If you intend to stay in Germany for more than three months you must register at the Citizens' Advice Bureau (Bürgerbüro) and obtain a Freedom of Movement Certificate (Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung) or a residence permit if you are a national of the Swiss Confederation.

read more

Nationals of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea and the USA ↓

You do not need a visa to enter Germany if you are a national of one of these countries. You only need a passport for entry.

However, you will require a residence permit if you will be staying for more than three months or you will be taking up paid employment. You can apply for this once you have entered Germany.

read more

Nationals of all other non-EU States ↓

If you are planning to stay in Germany for more than three months you must apply for a National Visa for Germany (D Visa) while you are still in your home country or current country of residence. Please note that this applies even if you are already staying in another EU country.

Do not, under any circumstances, enter Germany on a “Visitor or Tourist Visa” (Schengen Visa, category C). This type of visa cannot be extended and only entitles you to stay in Germany for a maximum of three months. You would then have to return to your own country at your own expense and apply for the right visa there. The same applies to family members.

The National Visa (category D) also entitles you to a short stay in other Schengen States. National Visas are usually issued for periods of three months. You must present this visa to your local Foreigners' Office (Ausländerbüro) once you have entered Germany to apply for a residence permit.

read more

Source: passages taken from EURAXESS

Please note that the information provided by the RUBiss Team is not legally binding and is not intended to replace or substitute for information provided by professional experts for each individual topic. We recommend you to consult the diplomatic mission or your local Foreign Citizens’ Office for more detailed information on your individual case.

RUBiss Logo


The Schengen States:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

RUBiss Newsletter


Like us on Facebook!


Anna Potreck

Natascha Wulff