Going Abroad 1

Freedom of Movement (Freizügigkeit)

Citizens of the European Union or the European Economic Area do not require a residence permit for their stay in Germany. If they intend to spend more than three months in Germany, they have to proof their right to Freedom of Movement (Freizügigkeit) instead.

The local Foreigners’ Office is responsible for examining the Freedom of Movement. EU citizens can apply for it easily at the Citizens' Advice Bureau (Bürgerbüro) when they register at the city. The Citizens' Advice Bureau will forward your application to the Foerigners' Office. The application is free of charge.

You may find the application for "Freizügigkeit" as well as a checklist for the city registration here:

Documents for the city registration   (155.7 kB)

Please notice our general information regarding the topic registration at the city.

Students from non-EU-countries do not have to proof their Freedom of Movement, but have to apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Office.

Please note that the information provided by the RUBiss Team is not legally binding and is not intended to replace or substitute for information provided by professional experts for each individual topic. We recommend you to consult the diplomatic mission or your local Foreign Citizens’ Office for more detailed information on your individual case.

RUBiss Logo


Foreigners' Office in Bochum

Willy-Brandt-Platz 2-6
44777 Bochum
Tel.:+49 (0) 234 910-24 00
Fax: +49 (0) 234 910-19 94

Office hours

Bürgerbüro Querenburg (Uni-Center)

Querenburger Höhe 256
44777 Bochum
Tel.:+49(0)234 910-91 22
Fax: +49(0)234 910-91 35

Office hours

RUBiss Newsletter


Like us on Facebook!


Anna Potreck

Natascha Wulff